Tuesday 13 November 2012

Infusion


     This is an appreciation post for one of the greatest inventions of man kind. The over the mug tea infuser. This magnificent device is yet another method for steeping loose leaf tea. And definitely my favourite way.What it is, is essentially a cup where you put leaves and water into it to steep, then when the time is up you place the infuser on top of your mug. The bottom of the cup is a push activated strainer, and all of the water falls into your mug, leaving the used up tea leaves behind. The first time I saw an infuser I was so excited, I thought it was so cool. Right now my family has three Teaopia "Tea Masters", with the idea being one for my sister, one for my mother and one for me. But you can all guess who uses all three for herself.
     The only inconvenience with this way of steeping is cleaning it out. With reusable tea bags or items like the "tea-rex" you can more or less just dump the leaves right out into the garbage. But with the shape of most infusers you need a long spoon and the sink to get all the leaves out. My mother always yells at me because I put off the cleaning until later. I leave the leafs in the strainer until I have used up all three infusers than clean them out only when I'm about to make a new cup of tea. And in my defence, I do make a lotof tea so it's not like the leaves sit there for weeks.
      The infuser is definitely a must have for any loose leaf tea drinker. Its the most efficient way to strain the leaves, not leaving behind specs like most other methods. They're not too expensive, usually around 20$. And you can purchase them in most quality tea shops. Teavana calls them "The Perfect TeaMaker". Here is a link to all of Teavana's methods of steeping http://www.teavana.com/tea-products/tea-makers-infusers     So what are you waiting for, go get yourself an infuser!

-Sarah

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah! I really enjoy reading your blog because tea is something that I know next to nothing about! I'm not a tea drinker but it's still interesting to learn about everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sarah! It's Sara,I think this device sounds really cool, though I'm not into tea or anything, it sounds like a cool concept. I really like your blog in general though. I'm not a tea drinker, and I wish I was since there is so many different types of tea and they all sound cool and probably taste as good. After reading your post I may actually try tea again, I tried it like two years ago and didn't like it but maybe I'll change my mind. Over all really nice blog!
    Sara :)

    ReplyDelete